Q: Can I get a copy of my completion certificate?

A: If you require a copy of completion certificate, you will need to ask the Building Control body or private approved inspector who inspected your work. If the work was inspected by the council, you can submit a request by emailing buildingcontrol@3csharedservices.org

There is a charge for this service depending on the work and how quickly the document is required, starting from £40.

We can only issue copies to the owner of the property or a lawyer acting on their behalf.

We are unable to provide copies of Completion Certificates for work undertaken by Approved Inspectors (references ending IN) or Competent Persons (references ending CP).


Q: Do I need Building Regulations?

A: You will require Building Regulations approval if you intend to carry out any new structural work or alterations to your home. There are, of course, some exemptions. If you are unsure whether your project needs Building Control approval, please contact us.


Q: How do I book an inspection?

A: You can call us on 0300 772 9622.

Fill in an online booking form (If you make a request before 9am, this can usually be on the same day).

Use the LABC Inspection Request app (same day request not available). Download on the App Store or get it on Google Play.


Q: What inspections will I expect to have?

A: These may vary due to the work being undertaken. However, notification of commencement and completion are always required. View Stages of Inspection.


Q: Can I get a refund if I decide not to go ahead with my Building Control application?

A: Charges for all types of application (Full Plans, Building Notices and Regularisations) are non-refundable.

Please ensure you wish to proceed with the application before making payment. However, once paid your application is still valid for 3 years.


Q: Do you work weekends and bank holidays?

A: Our working hours are 8am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8am to 4pm on Fridays. Please note that we do not work on Saturday, Sundays or any bank holidays.


Q: What is the difference between Building Control applications and planning applications?

A: Planning permission relates mainly to the correct use of land, the aesthetic appearance of the proposed building, and the effect that the development will have on the general environment and neighbouring properties.

Planning also deals with listed buildings and conservation areas. If you have a planning enquiry, you will need to contact your local council and ask for their planning department.

Building Regulations, on the other hand, are concerned with the way in which the building is constructed, its structural stability, means of escape and fire precautions, weather resistance, energy conservation, sound insulation, access, and facilities for people with disabilities.

3C Building Control provides local authority Building Regulations approval for:

  • Cambridge City Council
  • Huntingdonshire District Council
  • South Cambs District Council


Q: How long are Building Control records held?

A: By law we have to keep records of any building control applications we receive for a minimum of 15 years.


Q: Can you recommend an architect, builder, surveyor or structural engineer?

A: We don't keep a list of tradespersons and are unable to recommend any individuals or companies due to us remaining impartial.


Q: What do I have to do under the Party wall Act?

A: The local authority does not enforce the Party Wall Act. You may be required to enter into negotiations with your neighbour if you are carrying out work to, on or near the party wall or boundary. You may need the services of a Party Wall Surveyor. Details can be obtained from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors.


Q: What can I do if I have carried out building works without making an application?

A: You can apply for a Regularisation Certificate if the works were carried out after November 1985. Submitting an application does not automatically lead to a certificate being issued. We may need some of the works exposed for inspection and additional measures to ensure that the works are safe.


Q: When will I receive my Completion Certificate?

A: Once the works have been completed and we have made a satisfactory final inspection, we will issue you with a Completion Certificate.


Q: How do I find drainage plans for my property?

A: If you want to get hold of your property's existing drainage plans, please contact your local water authority.

Generally, the drainage plans provided from your local water authority will show you the location of all main drains on your road and not the private drainage system of your property. Building Control does not hold copies of private drainage plans.

Approved Documents F, L, O and S FAQs

Q: What are the new U-Values for renovating of a thermal element?

A: These stay the same as in table 4.3 in new document, however ventilation requirements are mentioned in ADF when thermally upgrading.


Q: Are there any changes to overglazing in an extension?

A: The method currently used is analysis of the CO2 emission rate. From June 2022 a primary energy metric has been introduced to the whole house calculation - it looks at the sources of energy into the home and how it was produced.


Q: Does a conversion into a dwelling require an air test?

A: No, you will need to meet the minimum limiting standards set out in the guidance table 4.2


Q: With regards to large multi-plot sites, what is the definition of a commencement?

A: Considerable drainage works tba with the local Building Control authority or foundations excavated and poured.


Q: Given the arrangements now work on a plot-by-plot basis, is a block of flats effectively considered as one plot?

A: The transitional period specifically mentions buildings, not plots. For example if a foundation had commenced on a building containing 16 flats, that would be 16 plot commencements (a plot being a single dwelling).